What is the syllabus template?
OTC provides this template for you to use as a guide in the development of a syllabus for all your courses, regardless of mode of delivery (hybrid, online and seated). We encourage you to modify the content in this template to personalize your syllabus to match your teaching approach and aesthetic. Please remember that your department chair or program director must approve all syllabi.
Please note using this template and the accompanying instructions will ensure your syllabus is fully accessible to all students (this document has been reviewed for Section 508 compliance).
How do I use the syllabus template?
Starting from scratch?
- Just follow the three simple steps outlined below.
Download the template:
Looking for the module template format in the Canvas Commons?
This summer we piloted the creation of a syllabus template module that you could download directly into your Canvas site from the Commons. We received some great positive feedback on this format (thanks!) – BUT – we were not able to find a viable solution for providing division secretaries with a printed copy of syllabi in this format. So, as a compromise, this semester you should use the above template to customize your syllabus, and then use the “how to” instructions in Step 3 to make your own syllabus module in your Canvas site.
Personalize your syllabus.
- Anything in red text is information you should customize/personalize for your course. Once you have customized this text, you should change it to black typeface. When your syllabus is complete no red text should remain.
- Any information with this computer icon next to it pertains only to online and/or hybrid courses. This icon and accompanying information can be deleted out of syllabi for seated courses.
You’ll also need the following document: Academic Affairs Contact List – updated 7-25-2017
Here’s a quick video that will walk you through how to customize your syllabus template.
Decide how you’d like to share your syllabus with your students. You can either:
Embed your syllabus as a clickable PDF document in your Canvas site.
- Written instructions: How to share your syllabus with your students as a clickable PDF document in your Canvas site
- Video overview of how to share your syllabus as a clickable PDF
Convert your syllabus into a module in your Canvas site.
Why does this template change so often?
To remain innovate and adaptive, OTC frequently finds it necessary to change policy and procedure. Each time a change is made to a policy or procedure the syllabus template is revised to reflect those changes. We also ask for feedback and input from faculty and staff on the template and incorporate any suggested changes as quickly as we can. Finally, many regulatory agencies (HLC, DOE, etc.) are asking us to make more information readily and publicly available to students, and the syllabus template is one way we can address those regulations