About OTC English Department
On this page, you’ll find course information regarding English and foreign languages. For more information about degree programs, visit All Degree & Certificates. For more information about English as a Second Language courses, visit Adult Education & Literacy.
The OTC English department’s mission aids in the development of students’ abilities to read and listen critically as well as write with clarity and persuasiveness in order to foster skills essential in furthering any academic or working career. Visit The Writing Center for a staff of student peer tutors that can help you with any step in the writing process.
The overall goal of the English department is to develop the intellectual and academic growth of our students by helping them to locate information from a variety of sources, critically evaluate it, assimilate it, apply it and communicate it effectively.
Upon completing their English coursework at OTC, students should be able to:
- Analyze ideas in both discussions and written documents
- Apply analytical processes in formal written presentations
- Read and discuss critically
- Describe problems, identify alternative solutions and form conclusions using relevant evidence and reasoned arguments
- Locate, analyze and synthesize information from a variety of sources
- Integrate source material into a research document
- Use standard diction, syntax, usage, grammar and mechanics
Students leaving OTC, whether entering the workplace or furthering their education, will use these skills every time they are called on to synthesize, manage or produce information.