New and returning students follow the steps below to apply for accommodations at OTC.

This step-by-step process is to establish accommodation services for currently enrolled OTC students with a disability -or- students returning after one year (or longer) to reestablish services.


image students with Ozzy

Become an OTC Student

Complete application process at OTC. Once accepted you will have access to your own myOTC page.

students walking into information commons at OTC

Complete DSS Application

*Log in to MyOTC * Click on “Getting Started” * Select “Disability Support Application”

myotc page


Click on the Apply for Services button at the bottom of this page * Log in using your OTC login and password * Complete the online form

Gather Documentation

Gather your supporting documentation to bring with you to your initial meeting or you can send it to DSS prior via email at

Students should submit at least one of the following:

  • Individualized Education Plan (IEP) from high school
  • 504 Plan with diagnosis from high school
  • Medical records/patient portal diagnostic summary
  • Psychological full evaluation/diagnostic report
  • Psychoeducational evaluation with recommendations
  • Letter from a healthcare professional. on letterhead, which confirms a diagnosis

Schedule a Meeting

After submitting your completed application, the DSS office will contact you to schedule an appointment with a DSS Accessibility Coordinator. You will receive a phone call and an email in an effort to confirm your documentation and schedule your one hour intake appointment where you will meet with a DSS professional and through an interactive process, including your supporting documentation, we will determine if a plan is appropriate and create that plan together.

people at a desk

Share Your Accommodation Letter

In order to use your accommodations, you must present your letter to your instructors.

DSS will email your accommodation letter to your OTC student email address. You should forward the Accommodation Letter to your instructors.  Be sure to discuss your letter with your instructors.

Keep in Contact with DSS

Inform DSS of any changes that occur in your health that may impact your accommodation needs. Feel free to come into our office anytime with any questions or concerns. We also love to hear your feedback and success stories!

image student with counselor

Additional Information

Service Animals on Campuses and in Classrooms

Students and third parties who wish to bring a service animal onto college property – including classrooms and college buildings open to the public – may do so without prior approval. However, students are strongly encouraged to contact Disability Support Services to ensure that their experience bringing the animal to campus is without issue.

When it is not obvious or apparent what disability-related service an animal provides, college personnel may ask: (1) if the animal is a service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task the animal has been trained to perform. College personnel cannot ask for details about the individual’s disability, require medical documentation, or require proof that the animal has been certified, trained, or licensed as a service animal..

Service Animals in Training

Service animals in training are permitted in all public facilities on the same basis as working service animals, provided that the animal is on a leash and is being led or accompanied by a trainer for the purpose of training the animal and the trainer has documentation confirming the trainer is affiliated with a recognized or certified service animal training organization.

Control of Service Animals

A service animal must be under the control of its handler. Service animals must be harnessed, leashed, or tethered, unless the individual’s disability prevents using these devices or these devices interfere with the service animal’s safe and effective performance of tasks. In that case, the individual must maintain control of the animal through voice, signal, or other effective controls.

Please refer to OTC policy 4.11 for further information.

FAQs about Service Animals

Regulations about Service Animals

Emotional Support Animals on Campuses and in Classrooms

Students who wish to bring an ESA onto college property must go through the reasonable accommodation process with Disability Support Services. While accommodation requests will be accepted and considered at any time, requests should be filed at least 30 days before the student intends to bring the animal to the college in order to ensure timely consideration. An ESA will not be allowed until formal approval has been received.

To ensure that the presence of an ESA is not an undue administrative burden or fundamental alteration of a college program or activity, the college will consider each request for an ESA on an individualized basis.

1. Upon receipt of a request for an ESA, Disability Support Services will engage in communication with the student to determine if the use of the animal is a reasonable accommodation.

2. In order for an ESA to be considered as a reasonable accommodation for a student with a disability, supportive documentation should be from a professional healthcare provider (on letterhead) and generally include the following information:

  • A current diagnostic statement that identifies the disability, including date of initial and most current diagnosis, any evaluations/testing that support the diagnosis, and a description of the functional limitation of the disability;
  • Information regarding the relationship between the disability and the relief the animal provides; and
  • Information that demonstrates the animal is necessary in order for the student to utilize and benefit from the college’s programs, services, or activities.

Please refer to OTC Policy 4.11 for further information.

An emotional support animal provides passive support in the form of companionship for the benefit of an individual with a disability. A student wishing to use an emotional support animal on campus must complete the accommodation process through Disability Support Services (DSS). This process includes:

  1. Completing a Disability Support Application. Please visit the Apply page.
  2. Completing an intake interview with a DSS Accessibility Coordinator
  3. Having a qualified provider (psychiatrist, psychologist, licensed professional counselor, licensed clinical social worker, or other mental health professional) complete the ESA Request for Information Form (link below) and returning it to the DSS office

ESA Request for Information Form

DSS can help advocate for students with emotional support animals once they have completed all three steps above.

If you have questions concerning service animals or emotional support animals, please contact us.