HSE Online Classes
MOLearns is Missouri’s FREE online classroom for students looking for the flexibility of completing most of their high school equivalency test preparation at home. The Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) sponsors this program.
To be eligible for the program you must:
- Be a Missouri resident
- Be 17 years old or older and not currently enrolled in high school
- Have the ability to go to an onsite class to take the placement tests
- Study and communicate with your online teacher regularly
- Return to an onsite class to re-test as required by your online instructor
- Have and know how to use an email account
- Have regular access to a computer with internet access (smart phones are not allowed for online study)
To maintain enrollment in the program you must:
- Work a minimum of 5 hours per week or 20 hours per month
- Return to an onsite class to take an updated placement test at the request of your online teacher
- Maintain email communication with an online teacher
Two steps to complete student enrollment:
- How to Enroll Online: Go to the website http://www.molearns.com/ to register.
- How to Complete the Testing: Go to an Adult Education class site and take the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE). Let the instructor know you will be enrolling in the HSE Online Class. After completing your TABE tests, remind your instructor that you plan to enroll online. The instructor will email your results to the online instructor.
In a few days you will receive an email from your online instructor, Mary Ann Hawk. Her e-mail is email@example.com. Watch both your inbox and junk mail for this e-mail. It would be a good idea if you put your online instructor’s e-mail address in your address book. Please email your instructor if you do not receive anything from her within a few days.
HSE Online post-testing policy
You must re-test every three months at an onsite classroom. All students will be sent an email telling them about the post-testing requirements. TABE scores must be sent to the online instructor in order for the student to remain in class. The program will deny the student access to the classroom if it does not receive the TABE scores. If the student does not complete a post-test within three months, the student will be removed from the online class. The program recommends that students be at the 8th grade reading level to work online; however, MoLearns does have curriculum for readers at the 3rd grade level, plus material for lower level math students.
However, students should have some computer knowledge and have an e-mail account.