You may be prompted to login with your OTC credentials for electronic access via the Hamra Library’s subscriptions.
- Allen, M. G., & Voytek, M. (2017). Perceptions of occupational therapy students and faculty of compressed courses: A pilot study. The Open Journal of Occupational Therapy, 5(4).
- Austin, A.M. & Gustafson, L. (2006) Impact of course length on student learning. Journal of Economics and Finance Education, 5(1), 26-37.
- Carrington, L. G. (2010). The impact of course scheduling on student success in intermediate accounting. American Journal of Business Education, 3(4), 51-60.
- Demmans Epp, C., Phirangee, K., & Hewitt, J. (2017). Student actions and community in online courses: The roles played by course length and facilitation method. Online Learning, 21(4), 53–77.
- Ferguson, J. M., & DeFelice, A. E. (2010). Length of online course and student satisfaction, perceived learning, and academic performance. The International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning, 11(2), 73-84.
- Gibbens, B., Williams, M. A., Strain, A. K., & Hoff, C. D. M. (2015). Comparison of biology student performance in quarter and semester systems. College & University, 90(3), 12–26.
- Holzweiss, P. C., Polnick, B., & Lunenburg, F. C. (2019). Online in half the time: A case study with online compressed courses. Innovative Higher Education, 44(4), 299–315.
- Kops, W.J. (2014). Teaching compressed-format courses: Teacher-based best practices. Canadian Journal of University Continuing Education 40(1), 1-18.
- Krug, K., Dickson, K., Lessiter, J., & Vassar, J. (2016). Student preference rates for predominately online, compressed, or traditionally taught university courses. Innovative Higher Education, 41(3), 255–267
- Lutes, L., & Davies, R. (2013). Comparing the rigor of compressed format courses to their regular semester counterparts. Innovative Higher Education, 38(1), 19–29.
- Mensch, S. (2013). The impact of course length on online numeric-based course grades. Contemporary Issues in Education Research, 6(4), 439–444.
- Rodrigue, S., Fanguy, R., Soule, L., & Kleen, B. (2016). Students in online degree programs: Perceptions of course term lengths. Issues in Information Systems, 17(2), 222–232.
- Shaw, M., Chametzky, B., Burrus, S. W., & Walters, K. J. (2013). An evaluation of student outcomes by course duration in online higher education. Online Journal of Distance Learning Administration, 16(4).
- Sheldon, C. Q., & Durdella, N. R. (2009). Success rates for students taking compressed and regular length developmental courses in the community college. Community College Journal of Research and Practice, 34(1–2), 39–54.
Whitepapers and Reports
- Bostwick, V., Fischer, S., & Lang, M. Semesters or quarters? The effect of the academic calendar on postsecondary student outcomes. IZA Discussion Paper No. 12429. (Available with free site registration at SSRN.)
- Chodhury, I. (2017). Influence of a compressed semester on student performance in a construction science course. American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference and Exposition.
- Education Advisory Board. (2015). Preventing early attrition: Pathing students to success from application through the first year.
- Gamboa, B.R. (2013). Impact of course length on and subsequent use as a predictor of course success 2008-2009 through 2012-2013. Institutional Effectiveness, Research and Planning Report, Crafton Hills College.
- Logan, R. & Geltner, P. (2000). The influence of session length on student success. RP Group Proceedings 2000: The Research and Planning Group for California Community Colleges, 35-48.
- Sloan, R. (2017). Improving student outcomes utilizing 8-week courses: Considering its feasibility for Ivy Tech Community College. Report Version III, Ivy Tech Community College.
Dissertations and Theses
- Boeding, L.A. (2016). Academic performance in compressed courses: A phenomenological study of community college student success. [Doctoral dissertation]. Northeastern University.
- Tanner, E.K. (2018). Nontraditional students’ success in compressed courses within a community college cohort. [Master’s thesis]. Western Kentucky University.
Blogs and Press Releases
- Achieving the Dream. (2016). Compressed term (7-week) schedule conversion.
- Achieving the Dream. (2018). Leah Meyer Austin Award.
- Odessa College. (2017, September 9). OC – Star award finalist. OC News, Odessa College.
- Ruf, J. (2021, June 2). Rethinking the 16-week semester: Is a shorter semester more equitable? And for whom? Diverse Education.
- Scottsdale Community College. (2020, July 7). Accounting students find the right balance with SCC’s new 8-week block schedule. SCC News, Scottsdale Community College.
- Scottsdale Community College. (2020, October 12). Reinventing higher education: SCC transforms its course scheduling and delivery strategies to benefit students. SCC News, Scottsdale Community College.
- Wyatt, J. (2016, November 9). Student success on the rise thanks to AC’s 8-week class model. Amarillo College Blog.