The state of Missouri recognizes American Sign Language (ASL) as a foreign language. At Ozarks Technical Community College, we offer 21 credit hours of coursework in ASL that can serve as humanities and/or general electives in the various degrees the college offers. Our core focus is on the development of language acquisition and the use of ASL in conversational settings. Students completing the courses at OTC can transfer to a four-year institution where they may pursue careers sign language interpreting, audiology, speech pathology, psychology, counseling, social work, deaf education and various other fields that may come in contact with deaf and hard of hearing consumers.
Fun Facts About American Sign Language
- There are different sign languages in different countries. In fact, in North and South America alone there are over 35 different sign languages!
- Individuals have been using ASL in the United States for over two hundred years!
- As many as 500,000 people in the United States communicate using ASL.
- Deaf History Month is observed from March 13th to April 15th every year.
- Babies can communicate using sign language 6-8 months prior to communicating verbally.